Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment of a Herniated Disc
A herniated disc can be a cause of neck, leg, and back pain. A herniated disc can cause debilitating pain that requires professional attention. Chiropractic care can be a great way to relieve pain, and at West Buffalo Chiropractic in Buffalo, NY, you can find professionals to help you get the best care.
We will examine your spine to determine the extent of damage and recommend a suitable treatment plan. Read on to understand what a herniated disc is, its symptoms, and how to treat it.
What Is a Herniated Disc?
This condition causes a spinal disc to slip out of its position. It might also be called a protruding, bulging, ruptured, or slipped disk. The spinal disc is the soft, jelly-like center enclosed in the tough, rubber-like exterior that acts at the buffer between the vertebrae bones.
The condition can affect any part of the backbone but often occurs in the lower back. A herniated disc can cause weakness in the arm or leg, numbness, and pain.
Symptoms of a Herniated Disc
If you experience the following symptoms, you might have developed the condition:
- Pain: It may develop and spread to the arms or legs if the protruding disc mounts pressure on a nerve.
- Muscle weakness: Sometimes, the disc presses a nerve, causing the muscles connected to the nerve to grow weak. Such weakness can cause one to stumble while walking or affect one’s ability to hold or lift items.
- Numbness or tingling: A herniated or slipped disc may cause tingling or numbness in the body part that relies on the affected nerves.
How to Treat a Herniated Disc
Chiropractic techniques are non-invasive methods for relieving the symptoms of a herniated disc. Our chiropractor looks at your medical history and performs a physical exam to examine the spine’s overall health to determine the best procedure.
During the examination, our chiropractor might look at your reflexes, numbness in your legs or arms, and more. This information can help us determine the best technique to relieve the symptoms:
- Spinal adjustment: Our chiropractor uses controlled, directed force to gently realign your spine. This may help get you pain relief from a herniated disc and potentially make it easier to heal from it.
- Corrective exercises: We can prescribe exercises to help you increase your strength and your circulation in the injured area. The extra support and blood flow to the area may help make it easier for your herniated disc to heal.
Get Chiropractic Care for Back Pain from Our Chiropractor in Buffalo, NY
If you are a Buffalo, NY, resident with back pain due to a herniated disc, call us at West Buffalo Chiropractic today and schedule an appointment. Our chiropractor is ready to help you resume normal living as soon as possible. Call us at (716) 248-2825 for more information.